About Chad | News & Media | Email Updates | The Ledger | Contact
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
I hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday season. With a new year upon us and the state Legislature's 2014 session starting next week, I'd appreciate your input on key state issues via a brief online survey. Also, I encourage you to stay in touch with me throughout the 60-day session – I value your input!
Our accomplishments so far
As we prepare for a new legislative session, we can look back on my freshman year and recap progress made in 2013 during the regular session and three special sessions. Let's take a quick inventory of the results:
- An increase of 11.4% ($1.6 billion) in funding for K-12 Education, including key reforms focused on student outcomes and policy-level enhancements for basic education programs totaling more than $1 billion
- An increase of 12.4% in funding for Higher Education, including the first tuition freeze in 27 years and $17.6 million to expand enrollments in computer science and engineering programs
- An increase of 57% in funding for Early Learning, including a $22.4 million increase in the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP)
- A budget that passed 81-11 and expired nearly three times as many taxes as it created
Despite forecasts of $2 billion in new state revenue, there were those in the House trying to impose almost $2B in additional taxes. They claimed it was necessary to fund our schools, but the truth is that even with added revenue, their budget proposal gave $300 million less to the students of Washington state. As the paramount duty of the state I believe education should receive our first dollar, not our last.
How can I help?
You are always welcome to contact my office. I am honored to serve you and welcome the opportunity to help you in whatever way I can. Below are the ways you can contact me, as well as tips for having your questions answered in a timely manner.
Rep. Chad Magendanz
427 John L. O'Brien Bldg.
P.O. Box 40600-0600
Olympia, WA 98504
Phone: (360) 786-7876
Web site: www.representativechadmagendanz.com
GETTING HELP OR INFORMATION:
It can be difficult to navigate the maze of state government or determine the correct person or agency to contact to help you with your issue. My office can help you with this process. I am committed to providing excellent services to the residents of the 5th District. My staff and I will do everything possible to help you with your problem or question.
- Be specific – what is the nature of your problem/concern?
- Have your details ready – which agency and who, if anyone, have you been working with at the agency?
- Have your paperwork ready – if you have paperwork that relates to the issue at hand, please be sure we have access to the parts that are applicable to best assist you.
- Results – what would a satisfactory resolution look like to you?
We try our best to resolve issues quickly. Any and all information you have that gets our office up to speed and ensures we ask the right questions and talk to the right people is greatly appreciated. It will help us serve you to the best of our ability.
Becoming a House page
During the legislative session, students from 14 to 16 years-old have the opportunity to come to Olympia and serve as a page for a week in the state House of Representatives. Pages perform all kinds of tasks important to the operation of the Legislature, and gain valuable experience. You can find more information about the House page program here. Feel free to contact my office if you have any questions.
Twitter town hall Jan. 9
House Republicans are holding their first-ever town hall on Twitter this Thursday, January 9, from 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. You can ask House Republican leaders Rep. Dan Kristiansen and Rep. J.T. Wilcox a 140-character (or less) question using the hashtag #solutionsWA.
That's all for now. Have a great week, and I'll be in touch next week to give you a preview of the 2014 session.
427 John L. O'Brien Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7876 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000